1. This variety of telescope enables the user to effortlessly follow stars and planets by employing a database of celestial bodies and a system of motors within the mount. Not only will a GoTo telescope find the object for you, but it will follow the same body over the course of days.
2. The benefits from a GoTo telescope are obvious: no waiting time to find an object, no frustration, and you won't bore guests by promising them a fantastic view, once you find it. Purists might gripe that it takes some of the fun out of astronomy, but there's plenty to see and learn without having to navigate light years of real estate.
3. Naturally, in order for GoTo telescopes to work, you need to properly align your telescope. Generally, you will place the telescope so that it is facing north, and the scope will then find two alignment stars. All you need to do is confirm that the stars are centered and you're all set. You can make minor adjustments if the telescope did not properly align.
4. You may also be interested in any number of software applications that often come included with GoTo telescopes. These planetarium programs display thousands of stars and other points of interest right on your computer screen if it is too cloudy for the real thing. You can also print star charts to plan observation sessions.
5. GoTo mechanisms can be built onto any kind of telescope, so you aren't limited to any particular design. Some aspects of GoTo telescopes can be retrofitted on standard telescopes with special kits. However, we think it's a better idea to go with the factory model to avoid any disappointment and frustration.